May 30, 2013
In 1898, CWS opened its first printing operations In Longsight, Manchester. Although the Co-operative Printing Society (CPS), a worker co-operative, was already established in Manchester, CWS’ initial efforts were aimed at in-house printing and stationery needs for its growing business.
By 1908, the printing operation had expanded to include two new printing works, in Leicester and Pelaw; later, a further printworks was opened in Reading, Reddish, and Warrington. Items printed included labels for CWS goods, magazines like the CWS Wheatsheaf (established in 1896), and a wide range of letterheads, brochures and pamphlets.
In addition, CWS printing works produced balance sheets, commemorative histories, and other items for Co-operative Societies across England and Wales; SCWS also operated a printing operation at Shieldhall, in Glasgow.