May 30, 2013
The Crumpsall biscuit factory was CWS’ first venture into manufacturing in 1873, and became the first of many CWS factories in England and Wales; the first SCWS factory, producing shirts, was opened in Glasgow in 1880.
The Crumpsall factory was successful, and before long it expanded into making sweets as well as biscuits; it also made jam until the rising demand led to a new dedicated jam factory at Middleton Junction in 1896.
In 1901 Crumpsall became the first biscuit factory in Britain to employ the 8 hour working day, and like many CWS factories there were many provisions for workers, including dining rooms, sports fields, and other sports and social activities.
CWS crackers, biscuits, and other products bore the ‘Crumpsall’ brand for decades – some biscuits were also made at Cardiff until the introduction of a single ‘Co-op’ own-brand label in the late 1960s.
CWS continued to operate a factory at Crumpsall for more than 100 years, but eventually closed the works in 1985.